We are pleased to inform you that on May 16th, 2009 the Museum HOUSE OF HUMOUR AND SATIRE in Gabrovo, Bulgaria will inaugurate the 19th INTERNATIONAL BIENNIAL OF HUMOUR AND SATIRE IN THE ARTS.
The Biennial exhibition has got six categories: cartoons, graphics & drawings, paintings, sculpture, photographs and posters that are open to humour artists from the world over without entry fee, but with all the freedom of technique.
The competition subject matter is THE WORLD LASTS BECAUSE IT LAUGHS;
the deadline for entries is March 1st, 2009.
Our kind request is to assist us in disseminating the complete conditions of entry and entry-form herewith attached. Their English, German, French and Russian versions can be viewed at http://www.humorhouse.bg
under International & National Events.We thank you in advance for your kind cooperation and remain at your disposal. We hope that Biennial 2009 will draw artists with original thinking and a fresh sense of humour.Sincerely,
Tatyana Tsankova (Mrs.), Research Associate Director
NINETEENTH INTERNATIONAL BIENNIAL OF HUMOUR AND SATIRE IN THE ARTSGABROVO 2009, BULGARIAMay 16 – September 30
CONDITIONS OF ENTRYWelcome. We wish every success for your entry in the Nineteenth InternationalBiennial Exhibition of Humour and Satire in the Arts.
1.This International Exhibit and Festival recognizes the highest achievements of humour andsatire in the following CATEGORIES, each to have its own exhibition area:
- CARTOONS- GRAPHICS & DRAWINGS- PAINTINGS- SCULPTURE- POSTERS- PHOTOGRAPHS
2.SUBJECT MATTER: The World Lasts Because It Laughs
3.ORGANIZERS:Museum HOUSE OF HUMOUR AND SATIRE, Gabrovo Municipality, the Ministry of Culture andthe Humour of the Peoples Society; the Organizing Committee is chaired by the Mayor ofGabrovo.
4.OPENINGMay 16, 2009, at 11:00 a.m., Museum HOUSE OF HUMOUR AND SATIREThe exhibitions will run until September 30, 2009
5.JURYA jury of professional artists and former Biennial winners selects the works for the exhibitions andawards the prizes. The decisions of the jury are final and there is no appeal.
6.PRIZES- GRAND PRIX - the GOLDEN AESOP statuette, 2 000 BGN, a certificate and aninvitation to stage a one-artist show during Biennial 2011.
- PRIZE of the town of GABROVO - the GASCAR statuette, 1 500 BGN and a certificate.- Prizes (six) of the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Bulgaria – 1 000 BGN each anda certificate in each category.SPECIAL PRIZES- Prize for sculpture awarded by Skalni Materiali JS Co–Rousse – 2 000 BGN and acertificate- Prize of Skalni Materiali JS Co-Rousse - 1 000 BGN and a certificate - awarded to ayoung sculptor (up to 35 yrs.)- Prize of LIONS CLUB of Baden/Helenental, Austria - 500 EUR and a certificate -awarded to a young Bulgarian graphic artist (up to 30 yrs.)- Prize of the Humour of the Peoples Society - 400 BGN and a certificate- Prize of Inter Data Systems, Co. - professional Lowepro photo backpack and acertificate; prize goes to the funniest photograph submitted.
SPECIAL SUBJECT MATTER PRIZES- Prize for poster of the Ministry of Health of the Republic of Bulgaria on Life Free ofTobacco Smoke – 800 BGN and a certificate- Prize for cartoon of Prestigio Technologies Ltd. on The Art of hi-Tech – Prestigio DataSafe I external hard drive- Prize for photograph of Prestigio Technologies Ltd. on The Art of hi-Tech – PrestigioData Safe I external hard drive- Prize for poster of Prestigio Technologies Ltd. on The Art of hi-Tech – Prestigio DataSafe I external hard drive- Prize for cartoon of the Directorate of CENTRAL BALKAN National Park onSafeguarding Nature - a 3-day visit to CENTRAL BALKAN National Park and a certificate.- Prize of Gabrovo Planet Society - the Gabrovo Planet statuette, 100 BGN and acertificate - awarded to the best work on Gabrovo subject matter.The cash prizes in BGN (Bulgarian Leva) are subject to taxation in conformity withBulgarian law.
The prize winning works remain in the Humour of the Peoples collection ofthe Museum HOUSE OF HUMOUR AND SATIRE. The latter reserves the right to extendpersonal invitations to the prize winners to attend the prize-awarding ceremony.
GENERAL ENTRY RULES
1. ELIGIBILITYThe competition is open to all artists who accept the conditions of entry. The working languagesare Bulgarian and English. In case of disagreement on the interpretation of the text, the Bulgariantext is the valid one.
2. DEADLINE FOR ENTRIES: March 1, 2009
ADDRESS: HOUSE OF HUMOUR AND SATIRE68, Bryanska St., P. O. Box 104, 5300 Gabrovo, BULGARIA
For contacts: Tel. +359 66 /807248/; +359 66 /803526/; +359 66 /804945/Fax: +359 66 /806989/E-mail: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
The conditions of entry (in Bulgarian, English, German, French and Russian), the jury membersand the recognition of the entries received, selected and awarded can be viewed at http://www.humorhouse.bg
INDIVIDUAL NOTIFICATION WILL NOT BE MADE TO BIENNIAL ENTRANTS.
3. All art works should be originals signed by the entrants and entrants' property. They should nothave been awarded before. Any technique is acceptable.
4. MAXIMUM SIZES- CARTOONS A4 (29 x 21 cm)- GRAPHICS & DRAWINGS 70 x 100 cm- PAINTINGS 150 x 150 cm- SCULPTURE 80 cm maximum height and 20 kg maximum weight- POSTERS 70 x 100 cm- PHOTOGRAPHS 30 x 40 cm
5. Each artist may submit up to 5 entries for each category, but no more than 2 works can beselected for exhibition.
6. The artist's name, title of the work, year of creation, technique, value and category type shouldbe printed on the back of each entry. Each work should be accompanied by an entry formcompleted in capital block letters in either Bulgarian or English.
7. Unless indicated otherwise, all entries submitted will be considered donations to the Humour ofthe Peoples collection at the House of Humour and Satire; therefore, artists are requested tocomplete and sign the Certificate of Donation on the entry form. The organizers greatlyappreciate these donations which will significantly enhance the international collections to beenjoyed by all. The donors' names will be listed on the homepage of the House of Humour andSatire; the donated works will be shown in future exhibitions both in Bulgaria and abroad.
8. Artists who cannot donate their work and explicitly indicate TO BE RETURNED on the entryform should deposit by September 30, 2009 the following return sums which cover packaging,dispatching and postage charges:
- CARTOONS, GRAPHICS, DRAWINGS, POSTERS and PHOTOGRAPHS – 20 EUR- PAINTINGS – 80 EUR- SCULPTURE – 130 EUR
The artists will have their works returned by December 31, 2009.Works lacking return postage by September 30, 2009 and unclaimed by the artists untilDecember 31, 2009 will be registered in the Humour of the Peoples collection.
9. The return sums can be sent by:- Bank transfer to:House of Humour and SatireDSK Bank PLc – Gabrovo branchIBAN number: BG83STSA93003110025400BIC code of DSK Bank Plc: STSABGSF- Money order payable to the Museum HOUSE OF HUMOUR AND SATIRE- Cash at the pay office of the Museum HOUSE OF HUMOUR AND SATIRE (a happycircumstance for the organizers to meet you, the artist).Sorry, NO cheques or charge cards.
10. All entries should be sent frameless and unmounted as printed matter with PRINTEDMATTER noted on the package.
11. Artists should cover the transport costs franco Gabrovo. The organizers will not collectpackages sent franco other destinations.
12. The Museum HOUSE OF HUMOUR AND SATIRE guarantees the safety of the works fromthe date of receipt to the date of return. No responsibility is assumed for damage or loss duringtransit.
13. The Museum HOUSE OF HUMOUR AND SATIRE reserves the right to reproduce the workson display and have them printed in its publications and other publicity materials.
14. The Museum HOUSE OF HUMOUR AND SATIRE publishes an art catalogue of the worksselected for display. Only artists with selected works are entitled to a free copy. The catalogue isavailable at the museum gift shop and all other artists can have it for 50 EUR (postage included)remitted according to item 9.
15. The conditions of entry are contractually binding. By submitting works to the BiennialExhibition artists agree to the terms of this contract.
ALL ENTRANTS ARE KINDLY INVITED TO VISIT GABROVO ON MAY 16TH, 2009 ANDATTEND THE OPENING AND PRIZE-AWARDING CEREMONIES OF THE NINETEENTHINTERNATIONAL BIENNIAL OF HUMOUR AND SATIRE IN THE ARTS, AS WELL AS ENJOYTHE HUMOUR CARNIVAL IN TOWN.