Competition for 2009 ICC Comics Award
This year, Competition for ICC Comics Award is being held for the first time. Art works created for the competition by cartoonists and comic artists from around the world will be displayed at the 10th International Comic Artist Conference in Taiwan. The theme for competition is all kinds of contents related with Astronomy and the Universe.
The year 2009 commemorates the 400th year since Galileo Galilei first used an astronomical telescope to observe the skies, and has been designated by the International Astronomical Union (IAU) and UNESCO as the International Year of Astronomy 2009 (IYA2009). As one of the oldest branches of fundamental study, astronomy has had a significant influence on every culture, epitomizing the apex of human intelligence.
Astronomy has made shining and brilliant advances in recent decades. IYA2009 is a global celebration to remember and celebrate the contributions astronomy has made to society and culture, with the theme ‘The Universe, Yours to Discover.’ Currently, many countries in the world are participating in IYA2009 in a variety of ways. Through these various events, the wonders of the Universe discovered through astronomy can be shared and appreciated by a multitude of people in many different ways.
Especially in light of the 2009 ICC Comics Competition event, based on the theme of the Universe, this global celebration of astronomy is expected to be enriched through comics and the value of astronomy will be shared from the perspective of comics’ art.
* Schedule* Application period: June 15~August 16, 2009*
Announcement of winners: October 25, 2009*
Exhibition: To be exhibited at the ICC Taiwan venue, October 23~26, 2009
Online exhibition on ICC Website* Guidelines
1. Hosted by: ICC Secretariat
2. Operated by: ICC Secretariat, Taiwan ICC Organizing Committee
3. Sponsored by: Taipei Comic Artist Labor Union, The Korea Cartoonist Association, Urimana Association, Manga Japan, Hong Kong Animation & Comic Association, Chinese Cartoon Studies Association, Bucheon Cartoon Information Center, Korean organizing committee for the International Year of Astronomy 2009
4. Theme: All contents related with Astronomy and the Universe (refer to http://www.astronomy2009.org/
5. Categories of Application Materials:
- Category 1: One-cut cartoon or illustration
- Category 2: Comics under 8 pages in length
6. Size of Application Materials: (jpg, gif, png file only)(1) Single cartoon or illustration category- Size: A3 (297 x 420 mm)
- Color: free, whether black-and-white or color
- Resolution: 300 dpi or higher(2) Comics (under 8 pages) category
- Size: B4 (180 x 240 mm)
- Color: free, whether black-and-white, or color
- Resolution: 300 dpi or higher
- Note: If work includes dialogue or text, submission of text in English is required.
7. Eligibility: All cartoonists, illustrators, and comic artists in the world8. Application Materials:
- Copy of artwork and application form
- Artwork data
- Application form (Downloadable from ICC Website or from Websites of member organizations in various countries)
- How to submit- Online: Apply through ICC website http://www.intercomicon.org/
- Postal delivery: Mail toICC Secretariat8, Chuneui-dong, Wonmi-gu, Bucheon-si, Gyeonggi-do, 420-857, South Korea
Please note:1. If using postal delivery, work must be submitted on CD in a graphics file with a resolution over 300 dpi. The final appearance of the printed version after submission may differ from artist’s original intention.
2. Submissions must be in digitized format. Paintings or drawings are not eligible for submission.
3. Submitted CDs will not be returned.Application period: June 15~August 16, 2009 (2009.06.15~2009.08.16)
* Judging and Awards
1. Judging method and criteria→ 1st Round: Entries will be nominated based on quality of work and potential, among other criteria, by a panel of judges recommended by ICC standing committees.→ 2nd Round: Awards for first prize, excellence awards, and recognition awards for nominated entries will be selected from among the nominated works by visitors viewing the works, using an on-site voting method during the ICC period at the exhibition venue.
2. Announcement of results: Announcements will be made at the competition venue on the final day of the ICC competition. Notice of winners will be posted on the ICC Website.
Category Prizes and Cash AwardsSingle Cartoon or Illustration Category
First Prize (one) - Trophy - Cash award: USD $1000Awards of Excellence (two) – Trophy - Cash award: USD $500Nominated entries - recognition awards - Commemorative book of drawingsComics CategoryFirst Prize (one) – Trophy - Cash award: USD $1000Awards of Excellence (two) – Trophy - Cash award: USD $500Nominated entries - recognition awards - Commemorative book of drawings
4. Award presentation and exhibition- Exhibition period: October 23~26, 2009
- Venue: Taiwan ICC contest venue
- Exhibition content: Works nominated from submissions and invitational works
- Award announcement: Competition closing ceremony on October 25, 2009If awardees are not present at the ceremony, they will be notified and presented with their award at a later time.
- Although all rights for works submitted belong to artists, ICC reserves the right to reproduce prize-winning works on the ICC Website and for projects and pertinent promotions of ICC.
- The ICC Secretariat is not responsible for any loss or damages that may be suffered by submitted works, in cases where works and applications are submitted by mail.
- If the work of any prize recipient proves to be stolen or plagiarized, the winner will be disqualified, the award must be rescinded, and the cash prize returned.
Address: ICC Secretariat 8, Chuneui-dong, Wonmi-gu, Bucheon-shi, Kyonggi Province, 420-857, South Korea
Office: 82-(0)32-650-0561 / 82-(0)32-650-0563